Car accidents always happen when we least expect them to (i.e. while heading to or home from work, driving home from a fun night out, etc.). We never imagine that we will ever be involved in a wreck until that one driver out of nowhere forgets to stop at a red light or rear-ends your vehicle because he or she was texting while driving. Because most don’t plan for an accident to occur, they often don’t know what to do when involved in a serious collision that results in life-threatening injuries.
Do you sue the other driver with the hope that you can recover the money you or a loved one needs to receive the medical attention your injuries require? Do you depend on the auto insurance company who is expected to handle the claim? What do you do?
Because car accidents, especially those that result in a person suffering life-threatening injuries, have the tendency to negatively impact your life in a drastic way, you may not know the answer to these questions or any other ones that are asked directly after a crash. But we do. At Ballard Law, PLLC, we have the knowledge and experience needed to answer any legal question you have pertaining to an automobile accident. And if you were recently involved in a car crash in Madison, MS or have a relative who was and you are wanting to discuss the amount of compensation you should receive for the life-threatening injuries that were sustained, MS car crash attorney William E. Ballard is ready to speak with you.
Common Life-Threatening Injuries Car Accident Victims Suffer From
Although there are a number of injuries an individual can sustain after engaging in a car accident, some of the more common life-threatening injuries we see are explained below.
1. Blunt Force Trauma- Did you know that “Trauma is the leading cause of morbidity and mortality in patients under 35-years of age and the sixth leading cause of death worldwide’ [Source: National Center for Biotechnology Information]? The NCBI also cites that “the majority of serious traumatic injuries are due to blunt trauma from motor vehicle crashes and pedestrian injuries.” The source highlights four categories of blunt impact which include contusion, abrasion, laceration, and fracture. When the blunt trauma involves a victim’s head and causes him or her to suffer a serious injury that impacts their ability to perform normal bodily functions (i.e. walking, talking, eating, etc.) their life could be put at risk.
2. Traumatic Brain Injury- Blunt force trauma to the head may result in a victim suffering a Traumatic Brain Injury, or TBI. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) define a TBI as follows, “a disruption in the normal function of the brain that can be caused by a bump, blow, or jolt to the head, or penetrating head injury.” The CDC also says that TBI’s “contribute to a substantial number of deaths and cases of permanent disability” each year and are often a common injury a victim suffers after engaging in a car crash.
The CDC cites that TBI’s can “cause a wide range of functional short- or long-term changes that affect” one or more of the following:
• Thinking- This might include memory and reasoning.
• Sensation- This could affect a person’s sight and balance.
• Language- A person who suffers a TBI that affects their language might experience difficulty with communicating, expressing themselves, or comprehending.
• Emotion- A TBI patient might experience depression, anxiety, personality changes, aggression, acting out, and/or social inappropriateness, says the CDC.
When a person has suffered any one of these injuries, it is essential that they retain a qualified car accident attorney in Madison, MS who will know exactly how to present their case to the court so that they are properly compensated for all their physical and psychological pain and suffering. The fact that these types of injuries and others can have such an impact on a victim’s life, it is important to not only recognize the party who was responsible for causing the wreck, but also recoup the compensation that can make this time a little easier on everyone.
When a person suffers a life-threating injury, they are going to need certain types of medical care rendered, and this can be costly or unaffordable for those who don’t have the best health insurance or any at all. So, to be sure the party who is liable for causing the accident that resulted in you or a loved one suffering a serious injury is held accountable, we urge you to contact our office today.
Madison, MS car accident lawyer William E. Ballard offers free consultations for personal injury cases and would be more than happy to speak with you regarding your accident now.
You can reach Ballard Law, PLLC. at:
108 S. President Street
Jackson, MS 39201