Slick roads, distracted driving, drowsiness – these are all common causes of fatal car accidents. However, these dangers pale in comparison to drunk driving. Despite campaigns that raise awareness about the risk of drunk driving and the harsh penalties of doing so, countless motorists continue to break this law.
According to the Mississippi Department of Transportation, the number of drunk drivers in the United States exceeds the entire population of most countries. In 2012, alcohol contributed to 31 percent of all traffic deaths in the state.
Despite its relatively small population, Mississippi sees its fair share of fatal accidents. According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, the traffic fatality rate in Mississippi was 43-percent higher than the national average in 2014, when measured in deaths per 100 million vehicle miles traveled.
If you were injured or lost a family member due to a drunk driver, contact Ballard Law, PLLC. William E. Ballard is a car wreck attorney in Madison who will evaluate your case to determine if you have grounds for a claim. You may be entitled to compensation for medical bills, lost wages and non-economic damages. Call 769-572-5111 to schedule a free consultation.
10 Steps to Take Immediately after an Accident with a Drunk Driver
The best way to avoid a drunk-driving accident is not to consume alcohol before driving – that’s no secret. Unfortunately, you cannot control the actions of other motorists.
Many people make a habit out of drunk driving. They might get away with it 10, 20 or even 100 times – but all it takes is one mistake to cause a deadly accident.
If you are in a wreck with a drunk driver, it is important that you know how to respond. A small mistake in the aftermath of a collision could compromise your ability to recover fair compensation. If the worst happens, follow these 10 steps:
- Stay calm;
- Do not leave the scene;
- Check other drivers, passengers and pedestrians for injuries;
- Call 911 and, if necessary, request emergency medical assistance;
- Exchange insurance information and contact details with the other drivers involved, but do not approach a drunk driver who appears belligerent or aggressive; instead, wait for police to arrive;
- Gather the contact details of eyewitnesses – your accident lawyer may use their testimonies to support your claim;
- Use your phone or camera to take pictures of the scene – capture photos of injuries, property damage, the positions of vehicles, skid marks and traffic signs;
- Write down the details of what happened;
- Ask police where you can obtain a copy of the report; and
- Contact an accident attorney to help you recover the maximum compensation.
If you were hurt in an accident with a drunk driver, contact a car wreck attorney from Ballard Law, PLLC. William E. Ballard will help you fight for the maximum settlement, and if your case goes to trial, he has the litigation experience and resources to represent your interests in court.
Mr. Ballard is a car accident attorney in Mississippi who will help you avoid mistakes such as overlooking certain damages, accepting a low settlement, unknowingly admitting fault, signing a general release or making recorded statements to insurance adjusters. Call 769-572-5111 to schedule a free consultation.