Opening your home and heart to an adopted child can be one of the most momentous steps your family might take. The decision to adopt is often an emotional one, but the actual process of adopting a child involves several legal steps that families must take. Before embarking on your own adoption journey, it can be helpful to have an adoption lawyer on your side.
If you are considering adopting a child in Jackson, Mississippi, Ballard Law, PLLC are adoption lawyers who may be able to help your family navigate the adoption process. In order to legally adopt a child in Mississippi, families must go through the legal process of adopting. You and your family may need to meet certain basic requirements and undergo certain formalities in order to adopt a child. What are these requirements and formalities? Here are some things to consider when embarking on the exciting adoption process:
- Make sure you meet Mississippi’s basic adoption requirements. In order to adopt a child in Mississippi, you must be an adult (either married or unmarried), and must be a legal resident of Mississippi.
- Meet Other Adoption Requirements. Basic requirements for adoption are just the beginning. In order to adopt, you may need to show that you have sufficient income to care for an additional household member. Social workers may also look at other factors, including the length of your marriage, your age, and other factors. For example, if you plan to adopt a child over 14 years of age, the courts may require the child’s consent before you can adopt him or her.
- Training and Classes. Before adopting in Mississippi, you may be required to attend training classes to learn more about the adoption process and to learn more about child development, child attachment, and how to manage behavioral issues should they arise with your adopted child.
- Home Study. During the adoption process, a social worker may visit your home to conduct a home study. The purpose of the home study is for the social worker to learn more about you and your family and to find a child who may be a good match for your home and family.
- Once you have passed all other requirements, you can be matched with a child and the child may be placed in your home. If everything works out well, the placement and adoption may be finalized.
These are some general steps that may need to be followed before you can adopt. An adoption lawyer like Ballard Law, PLLC in Jackson, Mississippi can help you navigate these steps. Contact our firm today to learn more as you embark on this exciting new journey to grow your family.
What do I Need to Do To Prepare for a Home Study?
The home study is part of a process conducted by social workers to determine whether you are prepared to adopt a child. While the home study process can create feelings of anxiety for some parents, it is important to remember that the home study process is as much about matching you with the right adoptive child for your needs as it is a process to determine whether you are ready to adopt. You might be asked questions about the age of the child you might want to adopt and whether you believe you might be able to adopt a child with special needs. The social worker may ask about how you plan to raise your children. For example, will your adopted child go to public or private school? How will matters of discipline be handled? What about recreational and social opportunities? Your home may be evaluated to determine whether there is sufficient space for a child to live in your home. Generally the child must have his or her own room or share a room with other children. You may be required to undergo medical testing and psychological testing to determine whether you are physically healthy to care for and parent a child. Finally, your financial background and criminal history may also be evaluated.
These are just some of the things that might take place during the home study and evaluation. Ballard Law is an adoption lawyer in Jackson, Mississippi who can help you prepare for the home study. Our firm can help you troubleshoot issues before they arise, gather documentation to support your case, and help you prepare for any problems and address them before they become roadblocks in the adoption process.
Adopting? Contact Ballard Law Today
Adoption can be an exciting process. The legal steps of adoption, however, can bring their own unique challenges. Whether you are adopting a child in Mississippi or plan to adopt a child from abroad, it can help to have an adoption lawyer working on your side helping you navigate the adoption process. It can also help to have a local lawyer working with you. Ballard Law, PLLC works with families in Mississippi looking to adopt, and USAttorneys.com can match you with an adoption lawyer like Ballard Law, PLLC today.