Family Lawyers in Jackson, Mississippi
Ballard Law, PLLC handles all aspects of family law including divorce, child custody, adoption, child support, and modification. Our knowledgeable family lawyer attorneys provide personalized, quality legal support in these extremely difficult times. Attorney Andrew Sorrentino leads the family law section of Ballard Law, PLLC. Andrew understands that the results he achieves as your family lawyer can have a lasting impact on your life. He’ll work closely with you on your case in order to ensure you:
- Get the attention you deserve
- Stay informed and up-to-date during the length of your case
- Maintaining confidentiality and confidence
- Making sure you understand all options to help you make informed decisions about the future of your family
Andrew Sorrentino with Ballard Law, PLLC is also one of the few certified juvenile public defenders in the state and takes special interest in the care of children and their best interests. If you are getting divorced and are having difficulty drafting a property settlement agreement, also referred to as a custody agreement, or if you have questions about child support, Ballard Law, PLLC may be able to help you. Our firm can help you understand Mississippi’s standards regarding the best interests of the child and assist you with creating a custody agreement that will be accepted by the courts.
If you or someone you know is in need of a family lawyer for your personal matters, contact Ballard Law, PLLC in Jackson MS today to set up a consultation.
Child Custody in Jackson, Mississippi: How a Family Lawyer Can Help
Child custody decisions are among the most emotionally challenging and difficult choices divorcing couples face. In order to get divorced in Mississippi, you’ll need to have a custody agreement in place that outlines the time the children will spend with each parent, how holidays and birthdays will be divided, and how major decisions on behalf of the children will be made. The courts generally favor custody agreements that encourage a relationship with both parents. Only in rare cases, such as where there has been abuse or domestic violence will the courts allow for limited contact.
What should be included in your custody agreement? Here are a few things you’ll need to consider:
- Visitation periods. How much time will the children spend with each parent and how will this time be divided?
- How will children be transported between each parent’s home?
- Holidays and Special Occasions. How will holidays and special occasions be divided? Will families alternate years, or alternate holidays?
- Major Decisions. How will major decisions about the child’s education, activities, and medical care be made? Will one parent be responsible for all decisions, or will both parents make decisions together?
- How will disagreements be handled? Will a mediator be required?
- A strong custody agreement should be flexible to accommodate reasonable schedule changes or emergencies. The agreement should outline how changes in plans will be handled.
Creating a custody agreement can be challenging for divorcing couples, especially if you are having difficulty getting along. However, it is often wise for the parties to agree to their own custody agreement. Taking your child custody case to a judge can be risky because the judge may make a decision that neither parent wants. A qualified family law firm like Ballard Law, PLLC in Jackson, Mississippi can assist you with your custody agreement and also assist you with all aspects of your child custody case. The family law attorneys at Ballard Law, PLLC are here to help. You don’t have to handle your child custody case alone, and you should not handle it alone.
How a Family Lawyer Can Help with Adoption
Adoption is a beautiful way to grow your family and support a child in need. However, in order to adopt in Mississippi, you’ll need to meet all requirements. This includes completing all adoption forms, meeting all age requirements, passing a criminal background check, submitting references from those who know you, including from employers, and showing adequate income to support a child. If you plan to adopt in Mississippi, the process can be quite involved. You may be required to undergo a home study. Having a qualified family lawyer like Ballard Law, PLLC in Jackson, Mississippi on your side can assist you as you navigate the legal aspects of adoption.