Drug Possession Lawyers in Jackson, Mississippi
If you are facing criminal charges for drug possession, Ballard Law, PLLC is a Jackson Mississippi drug possession law firm that may be able to assist you with fighting your criminal charges. The consequences of being found guilty of drug possession can be immense. You could face time in jail, could end up with a criminal record, could face high fines, and also suffer the collateral consequences of having a misdemeanor or felony charge on your record. If you have been arrested for drug possession or for drug possession with intent to distribute, you may have the right to defend yourself in court. You are innocent until proven guilty. Ballard Law, PLLC is a drug possession lawyer in Jackson, Mississippi who can review your case, review the evidence police have against you, and help you understand your options and rights when it comes to defending your innocence or helping you with a plea deal. Contact Ballard Law, PLLC today to learn more.
If You Are Under Arrest for Drug Possession in Jackson, Mississippi: Know Your Rights
What are your rights if you have been stopped by police or if you are under arrest in Jackson, Mississippi? Regardless of where you are stopped by police, the American Civil Liberties Union notes that you have several important rights. What are they?
- You have the right to remain silent, but you may need to verbally tell officers that you would like to assert this right.
- You do not need to consent to any searches of your belongings, whether this is your pockets, your bags, your car, or your home. If officers believe you might have a weapon, they may have the right to pat you down. However, in order to search your property, police must have a warrant. If police choose to search you or your property without your permission, you have the right to tell officers that you do not consent to the search, but never resist arrest and never resist police.
- If you are under arrest, you have the right to a lawyer. If you cannot afford a Jackson MS drug defense lawyer, one must be appointed to you. Ballard Law, PLLC is a drug possession law firm in Jackson, Mississippi who can assist you if you are facing charges or arrest.
You are innocent until proven guilty. Being arrested for any crime can be a frightening and stressful experience. However, you do not have to navigate the legal system alone. Contact Ballard Law, PLLC, a drug possession attorney in Jackson, Mississippi today to learn more.
Drug Possession Defenses in Jackson, Mississippi
What are some potential defenses to drug possession charges? Ballard Law, PLLC is a drug possession law firm in Jackson, Mississippi who can review your case and help you understand some of your options when it comes to drug possession charges. Here are some possible defenses that may be available to you:
- Unlawful search and seizure. If you were stopped illegally, arrested without just cause, or if officers searched your person or your property without a warrant or without the legal right to do so, any evidence gathered during a search may not be admissible in court.
- Drugs were not yours. If you live in a house with multiple people present, if you were driving a vehicle with multiple passengers or driving a car owned by other people, or if you did not own the drugs that were found by police, your attorney may be able to show that you did not own the drugs and were innocent.
- If officers compelled you to commit a drug crime you would have otherwise not committed, you may be able to cite entrapment as a valid legal defense. Entrapment cases can be complex and tough to prove, but with a drug possession lawyer like Ballard Law, PLLC on your side, you may be able to fight your charges and show that officers induced you to commit a crime you may have otherwise never have committed.
- Chain of evidence. Sometimes officers collect drugs from the scene of an alleged crime, but then they misplace evidence, mess up the paperwork, or fail to handle evidence or a case properly. When it comes to charging someone with a drug crime, the burden of proof is on the officer to show that you are guilty. If the police department made errors, you may have the right to fight your case.
- Faulty testing kits. Major news outlets like ProPublica and other news outlets have reported on the fact that drug kits have flaws and sometimes produce false positives in the field. If a drug testing kit produced a false positive, you may have the right to fight your charges in court and a lawyer may be able to show how the kit was flawed through investigating the methods officers used to detect drugs.
These are just some of the legal defenses that may be available to you if you have been charged with a drug crime in Jackson, Mississippi. Ballard Law, PLLC is a drug possession attorney in Jackson, Mississippi who may be able to assist you with your case. Contact our firm today to learn more.